Poppy seeds! When I visit my parents I often make a pit-stop at my families favorite bakery. They make a fantastic poppy seed cake and I always pick up two pieces, because my dad’s just as crazy about poppy seeds as me. However, the perfect poppy seed pastries are still my mom’s fluffy, buttery poppy seed rolls! The more poppy seeds, the better.
Ingredients for Poppy Seed Rolls
- 75g butter
- 230ml milk
- ½tsp salt
- ½ yeast cube
- 50g sugar
- 400g flour
- 500g poppy seed filling
Preparing the Poppy Seed Rolls
- Heat milk and butter in a small pot on medium heat.
- Mix salt, yeast, sugar and flour in a separat bowl.
- When the milk-butter-mixture is warm – not hot(!) – add it to the bowl with the flour-mixture. Using the dough hooks of a hand mixer, stir everything thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth, place it somewhere warm and allow the dough to rise for 40 minutes.
- Cover your kitchen counter with a bit of flour, roll the dough flat. Let it rise for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread the poppy seed filling on top of the dough – the more the fresher the taste – and roll the dough from one side to the other to form one roll. Cut it into 3cm wide pieces and place them on the baking tray with some space in between.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy these warm pieces of poppy seed heaven!